Sunday, February 8, 2009

Malaysia Truly Asia

_"This is Malaysia! The best Islamic country. Here we follow only the law. Prime Minister makes the law and we do it. And the money I want from you is not for myself, it is for my country, for Malaysia." Said the police officer to the tourist, jerked the keys of the tourists rented car from his hand and ordered him to sit in front seat next to the driver (the officer) and his wife at the back seat. He drove the car and the tourist to the nearby police station. The police car was following the tourist and the officer. Inside the car he looked sullen and angry and was calculating in his mind the money he wanted to ask the tourist to pay if he liked freedom.

_"Have you ever been to prison?" The officer asked.
_"No, never!"
_"Ok, wait! I will send you to the prison for seven days."
_"Why?"
_"You have broken the law and turned in a point you shouldn't have to."
_"You say so! But there was no sign. Even if I have broken a driving law, you can fine me, you
shouldn't take me to prison."
_"You have to pay 300 for turning and 300 for not having pass."
_"But I showed you my immigration ID. You can contact Immigration office to evaluate it."

Inside the police station the officer locked the car and took the keys and played a role of going to his office to send the tourist and his wife to prison. The tourist went to him to stop him treating them this way.

_"We are foreigners here. Student. Don't do anything to mar our image of Malaysia, please."

The next officer came to the now student tourist and whispered something into his ear with his broken English.

_"Look, my boss is a good person. Don't worry, let me settle the matter here."
_"How"
_"300"
_"What?"
_"Give him 300 and go. This money is not for us. It is for our country. We want to serve our
country. You are a gentleman and understand what I say."

Oh my gosh! I had never known the real meaning of serving one's country. Thank you Police Officer that you showed me the true way one can serve his country.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Speaking as a Malaysian, that the policeman demanded money, is a damn normal thing, sigh.
Corruption and racism are pretty much in Malaysia right now ;-)
To dare say that malaysia is the best Muslim country is just unbeliavable.

Sorry you had to experience that, hopefully more foreigners read this story.